Monday, September 5, 2011

Brainless Scarecrow from "The Wizard of Oz"

Two days back I watched this movie, “The Wizard of Oz”. A master piece from MGM Studio based on the 1900 fairytale novel, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. In fact I was watching it second time after a gap of almost seven years. No reason why but a random thought led me to search this movie again and I bought a DVD as a surprise gift for my three year old daughter. More than a gift, I wanted to watch this  movie again with my daughter sitting beside me. I imagined that it would be a great experience and believe me, the experience was better than my imagination. Since then both of us are just not enough of singing, “We’ re off to see the wizard; the Wonderful Wizard Oz”.
Ever since I watched this movie again even my mind is full of thoughts. Once such thought is provoked by a meaningful dialog between Dorothy ( a farm girl who is a central character in the movie and who just realized that Scarecrow can talk) and Scarecrow ( which is another important character from the movie). Dialog goes  something like this…
DOROTHY:  You did say something, didn't you?
[The Scarecrow shakes his head, then nods. Dorothy looking at the Scarecrow as he nods his head and she speaks to him...]
DOROTHY:  Are you doing that on purpose, or can't you make up your mind?
[The Scarecrow explains, shows his straw head]
SCARECROW : That's the trouble.  I can't make up my mind.  I haven't got a brain -- only straw.
DOROTHY: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
SCARECROW: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?
DOROTHY: Yes, I guess you're right.
(Note: you can watch above snip @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw85U2-FRdU)

I don’t think I need to explain any further; this piece puts it just perfectly. I am an epitome of this brainless scarecrow and would henceforth fill this space with my senseless blabber. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment